Monday, July 7, 2008

Thumbs Up...Buenos Aires museum


Being a cinephile, I found this nugget of news to be fascinating. Several scenes from the silent film classic, Metropolis (directed by Fritz Lang) were found and screened in Buenos Aires over this past weekend.

To read more click here.

I've only seen a few scenes from Metropolis--I believe from one of my film classes in college--but have just recently added it to my Netflix list. Interestingly enough I just finished watching another Fritz Lang movie, M. It was his first "talkie" and starred Peter Lorre as a serial murder of young girls. Pretty crazy stuff. Anyway...it was a solid film. It was kind of difficult to get through in parts but overall I'm glad I saw it and I can see why it's a considered a classic. It's over seventy years old but deals with a subject--that we would consider modern--in a very adult and believable manner. Plus Peter Lorre can be especially creepy and that pays off in the movie.

But anyway...I just thought it was cool that they found lost footage to such a classic movie. It makes people optimistic that some other lost gems are out there. I think in our modern world (where information-- thus access to art-- are at our very fingertips) it's crazy to think that a movie or parts to a movie are lost and may never be seen again.



No comments: