Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Colts game 4 recap

I had a little different perspective with this game as I attended it with The Big A. With an open roof and great seats it was a perfect day for some football. And the Colts delivered in a big way with a rousing 34-17 win over the Seattle Seahawks.

The Good:

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but how can one not start with Peyton Manning. This was his fourth consecutive 300 yard passing game and he is simply locked in. He's spreading the ball around. . .and getting comfortable with the new guy's. Pierre Garcon had a couple more big catches and Austin Collie grabbed a highlight worthy touchdown at the end of the first half. The running game again seemed competent and the defense (for the most part) held Seattle in check. I did not expect to see Dwight Freeney on the field (with his strained quad) but not only did he play but he had a sack and a couple more quarterback pressures. I'm not convinced that it was a good idea to play him but I guess if he's capable of playing than one should play him.

The Bad:

Again not much to say here. Special teams allowed Seattle to get an on-side kick (in the fourth quarter) and the defense let the Seattle offense score a few late touchdowns. I wasn't too concerned because it was basically garbage time but if I were to be critical I guess it would be nice to not have a let up at all but that's going to happen.

The (not so) Ugly:

Edgerrin James returned to Indy for the first time since he and the Colts parted ways. Most people realize, including the parties involved, that the decision to release James didn't surprise anyone when it did happen in 2006. I thought it was class act by the Colts organization to publicly recognize--during the game with a video montage--James's contribution to the Colts. I know I was on my feet cheering for James. It was cool that James reciprocated the gesture by acknowledging the crowd and their cheers. As the screen proclaimed, James will one day be in the Colts Ring of Honor (and on a separate subject. . .the Hall of Fame as well).

No comments: