Saturday, April 12, 2008

It's Indiana

I've been meaning to write about IU's hire of Tom Crean as coach but I think it's taken me awhile...for whatever reason... to digest the situation. Stuckey's given his take here...and I pretty much agree with his assessment.

Initially when I heard the news I was more relieved than anything. Relieved that they had finally hired a coach...and one with merit. It wasn't a sexy hire (Pitino or Bruce Pearl) but it seemed like a good hire.

But after hearing Crean at his press conference...I think that it was not only a good hire...but the right hire. Maybe it's just the moment of having a new coach...but when Crean kept saying that "It's Indiana...It's Indiana"...I got chills because Crean "gets" what Indiana basketball is about. It's just not about having a passion for the Hoosier Tradition (because Sampson had that) it's having the passion with doing things the right way and I believe that Crean is going to deliver. Is it going to take some time...no doubt about that...I've already written off next season...but that's all right. Sampson left the program a mess and it's going to take some time to clean it up.


Crean is the right man for the job. He is also buddies with Milwaukee Brewer's pitching coach, Mike Maddux. So that's cool.

Go Hoosiers!



No comments: