Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Hoosier talking about the Wildcats and Tar Heels...

In anticipation of tonight's UNC/Kentucky basketball matchup, espn.com had an interesting Sportsnation poll...which is the greater historical program...North Carolina or Kentucky? As of 5:30 the results were a lopsided 61% to 39% in favor of the Tar Heels.




It should be noted that the only thing that these programs have in common (in terms of my view) is that I extremely dislike both of these teams. (And I'm aware that I married somebody who likes the Wildcats). But anyway...I'm an Indiana fan (not much of a surprise there) so it's only naturally to dislike Kentucky. As for UNC...well...I've just never really cared for the ACC or teams like UNC or Duke for that matter.




But anyway...I was just intrigued by the disparity of the poll because I don't think one can argue that UNC is that much more historically significant than Kentucky--in terms of its basketball tradition.




In trying to put bias aside...here are some numbers to look at.




Final Four Appearances:




UCLA, 18


North Carolina, 17


Duke, 14


Kansas, Kentucky 13


Ohio State, 10


IU, Louisville, 8




--UNC definitely has the lead here 17 to 13 respectively.




NCAA Titles:




UCLA, 11


Kentucky, 7


Indiana, 5


North Carolina, 4


Kansas, 4


Duke, 3


Kansas, 3




--But here Kentucky has a sizable advantage 7 to 4.




Here's the all-time leaders in winning percentage



Kentucky .762

North Carolina .733

Kansas .709

Duke .694

Syracuse .685

--This time Kentucky still has the advantage but it's pretty close.

Ultimately my point is that it's pretty even when arguing the greater historical significance between the two programs, UNC and Kentucky. I never really intended to argue for Kentucky but I guess I kind of did. I was just put off with how off-balanced the Sportsnation poll results were. (Although it's pretty clear that Kentucky doesn't have much of a chance against UNC tonight).

But when it comes down to it...if I were ranking the top five programs of all time I would just feel inclined to go by number of titles won...because when it comes down to it...that's what counts. Plus that makes Indiana look good...and ahead of North Carolina.

But I'll tell you what I don't like...is being stuck on five titles. Indiana is over due for a title. Not going to happen this year...but Crean's got it in him to catch Kentucky.








No comments: