Saturday, December 13, 2008

Saturday Morning Thoughts

Jenny and I had been slacking off a bit with our workouts at the Armory so we decided this morning to go bright and early. Consequently it's 9:00 and we've already had our workout for the day. I feel pretty good.

A few things...

--I got The Dark Knight on DVD...and yes I've watched all the special features and the movie again. Their really aren't any earth shattering special features (no deleted scenes or commentary tracks) but I did like watching the mini-web news episodes from Gotham City News. As for the movie...it still holds up after the fifth viewing. The more I watch it the more impressed I get with Christopher Nolan, the director. With every act in the movie the action successfully builds on one another thus creating an intense (and exciting) rising action. There's a purposeful rebooting of the action during the transitions between the acts thereby creating a new rising in the action and drama. I just love how the movie resolves itself and how it ends. It's just perfect.

--The Golden Globe Awards were announced earlier this week. It's hard to get too worked up either way with the Globes. The awards don't hold any weight but it's normally entertaining watching the show (and not a press conference...like last year's debacle). Initially I was frustrated The Dark Knight only scored one nomination (supporting role for Heath Ledger) but that might not be that bad of an omen when the Oscars are announced. The Golden Globes sometimes have that WTF mentality--like nominating Tom Cruise for best supporting actor for Tropic Thunder. That was a glorified cameo that was amusing but not awesome.

--Speaking of Hollywood...in a bit of surprise...Hugh Jackman will be hosting the Oscars. I was a bit surprised at first but I don't think it's bad move. Most people equate Jackman with his Wolverine screen persona but he's also a song and dance man and he does have experience with hosting...as he hosted the Tonys for a couple of years. He's charismatic guy and I think he'll be fine. He's also a versatile guy...how many people are aware that he has already won an Emmy (for hosting the 58th Tony Awards) and a Tony (best actor from "The Boy From Oz").


1 comment:

Bop said...

Don't you mean Ralph Jackman?