Friday, December 7, 2007

City Politics

I know most of you probably don't have a large interest in local Greensburg politics and I can't say that I have a large one although that day is coming...I'm sure at some point there will be a day when it will be time to move off the sidelines. Anyway, Jim Cummings, managing editor of the Greensburg Daily News, had an interesting editorial to today's Greensburg Daily News.

I'm not going to get into all of the squabble between the paper and the various city leaders in Greensburg...from what I can tell...there's been a lot of bickering from both parties. What I will comment on...and I agree with Cummings (and he alluded to this) is that the transition from Manus's administration to Herbert's administration (and that includes the City Council as well) is about as contentious as it can get. The feeling around town (and this includes more than my usual sources) is that there is a lot animosity and ill will among (some of) the elected officials that did not get re-elected. Further exacerbating the situation is that their is this perception among many citizens in Greensburg that the transition between administrations is not being handled in a professional manner. Let me make this clear...I'm not assessing blame to either side. What I am saying is that I'm extremely disappointed by it. This is small town government...not Washington DC. I don't know where the small town morals went but they are lacking right now in Greensburg. I don't now if it's an ego thing or not but it's not healthy at all...especially given how fast this town is growing. Don't get me wrong the town is not in political turmoil. I just don't want to see it get anymore fractured than it already is. We'll see what happens. Hopefully things will work out.

3 comments:

Slammin' Sam said...

i doubt this would be happening if you were mayor. seriously, it's time for another of your kin to put on the mantle

StuckeySpalt said...

I wouldn't be so quick to think that things have "changed" all that much. I imagine that if you went back and looked at a mayoral race in the early 1900s you'd find plenty of childish bickering and unpleasantness. Not to say that makes it okay, I just feel pretty confident that this is not "new" and doesn't have anything to do with "small town morals" being abandoned.

Maddog said...

I'll agree that I'm more aware of what's going on now than I did in the early 90's...but I'm telling you...things are way more contentious now. In the past those feeling of ill will would be expressed behind closed doors...not so much anymore.
And whether or not it really is true...things being more ugly than in years past...the perception that they are is definitely true.