Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Starvin' Marvin

It's definitely a sad day in Colts Land with the impending release of WR Marvin Harrison. Marvin's always been one of my favorite Colts and I believe he is one of the most underrated players in NFL history. He's the second best WR of all time (behind Jerry Rice)...no question about it. The tandem of Manning to Harrison is the best QB-WR tandem in NFL history as well.

I know Marvin's had some off-field issues here lately but on the field he was what one wanted in a WR. More to the point he was a stud WR without all the crap that most stud WR's bring to the table. He didn't have elaborate TD celebrations (he simply handed the ball to the ref)...he wasn't a locker room cancer...and he didn't heap attention on himself. Yeah he wanted a ball...but all WR's say that. He was just a helluva of a wide receiver and certain to be a hall of famer some day.

I would have wished that he finished his career in Indy but that's the unfortunate cold reality of the NFL. Without guaranteed contracts, messy divorces are the norm in the NFL. It is what it is. Although I don't really think this is that messy of a split...I think both parties know where the other is coming from. The reality is that Marvin's production has fallen off in the past couple of years and the Colts really just can't afford the cap hit that his current contract would allow for.

It will be strange to see Marvin in another uniform but The Colts have to do what is in the best interest of the team. But I'll miss Marvin. Again I know he's had some off-field issues to deal with but he was a professional on the field.

He'll always be a Colt in my eyes.


No comments: