Wednesday, April 1, 2009

House Divided

Last night the Big Ten Network aired the '81 NCAA championship game between Indiana and North Carolina. Of course Indiana won (63-50)...mainly thanks to the effort of Isiah Thomas.

But nonetheless that got me thinking...what if that match-up happened again...and more specifically how would that effect a marriage (hypothetically speaking) of a couple where one person is an Indiana fan and the other is a North Carolina fan.

As I was talking to Jenny about this I naturally brought up the scenario where what if Indiana ever played Kentucky (her favorite school) in the NCAA title game. Of course she was like..it's just a game...there wouldn't be any issues.

Needless to say I had a different reaction. I declared that we couldn't watch the game together ( I don't think I could watch that potential match up with any Kentucky fan) and if IU lost I would probably need several days (maybe a week) to get over it. It's not like I couldn't be around her...more like she just couldn't bring up Kentucky winning.

But if IU won than we wouldn't have any problems and I would (eventually) drive her crazy with constant talk of IU winning.

I realize that this is completely irrational and that it is nothing more than a double-standard...but that's just the reality of how I would handle it.

The chances of that specific match up occurring is rare and ultimately that is probably a good thing (but not in terms of Indiana reaching the finals of the tournament...because that is always a good thing).




1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I never want Carolina and Indiana to play. If it was up to me, they would never play. Luckily the last few times they've played one team has been dramatically worse than the other due to issues with both programs. If they met in the title game, I might have a heart attack.

And I'm guessing Andy and I would NOT watch the game together.

We do know a couple where one is a diehard Carolina fan and the other is true and true Villanova---they should have an interesting night.