Wednesday, April 22, 2009

NFL Draft = Absurdity

It's that time of year that completely drives me crazy...the NFL draft. For those not aware the NFL draft is this weekend. I figure most sports fans know this since ESPN has been up-chucking over themselves for the past several months. Go figure...the ridiculousness continues to build this week as the draft inches closer and closer.

I realize that the NFL draft has become an event...really almost on par to anything else the NFL does (except for the Super Bowl--but sometimes I'm not sure) and maybe my problem with the draft is not so much the draft itself but what it has become. It isn't just ESPN (but they have the monopoly on sports so they are going to get much of the blame) it's just the incessant coverage by the sports media. The "analysis" and endless discussion of the what team X is going to do or where player Y is going to go just drives me crazy. What's the point of predicting the draft when there's absolutely no reflection (or consequence) to the endless banter and conversation. I never hear how draft gurus (like Mel Kiper or Todd McShay) actually do with their predictions. And furthermore nobody and I mean nobody knows how well these specific draft picks are going to perform. That's the complete lunacy about it. It's all speculation. That's it. It's nauseating. Sometimes I think it isn't even newsworthy.


But with all that said here's my prediction on the Colts first round pick (yes..who the Colts pick is the only thing I care about with regard to the draft)...

I'm still convinced that the Colts are going to take a wide receiver in the first round. Bill Polian's track record in first round is drafting offensive skill players and I think that will continue here. But I'm not sure who they are going to take. I would take Percy Harvin (Florida). His explosiveness would help out in the kicking game--which we never have and also provide us with a deep threat--that is lacking in our offense. But Harvin has some drama surrounding him so instead they might take Hakeem Nicks (UNC), Brian Robiskie (Ohio State), Kenny Britt (Rutgers) or Darrius Heyward-Bey (Maryland).

But...if Peria Jerry (Mississippi) or Evander Hood (Missouri)--both defensive tackles--are still on the board than--I think--it would be hard to pass up drafting one of these skilled defensive tackles. I think every Colts fan knows that we need help at defensive tackle.

Here's what I think the Colts might do. If Hood and Jerry are off the board than they will draft a WR...if one of them is left ( I don't think both of them will be) than I think they will select one of them and then maybe trade up in the second round and draft Robiskie (because I think taking him in the first round is a stretch).

With apologizes to Kiper...that's my draft analysis.

No comments: