Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I don't get it

When the news broke that John McCain chose Alaskan Governor, Sarah Palin, as his vice-president candidate, I was pretty surprised (and I wasn't the only one).


With her seemingly lack of experience--especially on the national scene--I thought even members of her own party would be alarmed. Well that's not the case. From what I can tell--being around family, friends and the Greensburg public is that most conservatives are pretty excited over her choice.


I guess I can see that (from their perspective) considering that she does reinforce the ticket with her conservative views (pro-life, NRA member, fiscally conservative, evangelical christian). And her being the vice-president nominee is historic and does bring about some excitement for republicans --mainly because I believe they think that in some respect that they are being progressive (I'm not so sure about that).


But I'm still flabbergasted in the way the Republicans are embracing her nomination. For weeks, the McCain campaign (and McCain himself) has repeatedly argued that Barack Obama does not have the experience or credentials to be commander-in-chief. So McCain's first big decision as a presidential nominee is to have a vice-president nominee that has less experience than Obama. Thus in effect...the McCain campaign has nullified what they think is their best argument against Obama. It makes no sense to me. I'm completely beside myself when watching conservative pundits and their own party members harp on Obama's lack of experience but praising Palin's (she's only a heartbeat away from being president) 20 months of experience in being the governor of Alaska.

Simply ridiculous...and here's CNN's Campbell Brown echoing those questions...




I'm also bothered by conservative blowhards drinking the cool-aid when it comes to Palin's nomination.


If Obama...or scratch that...any democrat nominee would have nominated a female vice-president with the following credentials...

--Finishing second in a beauty pageant

--Local TV Sports reporter

--Two terms on a city council (in a city smaller than Greensburg)

--Two terms of mayor (in that same city)

--Two years of being governor (in a state with the 47th ranked population)

...the Bill O'Reilly's...the Rush Limbaughs...and the Glen Becks of the world would be ripping that nomination for being weak...especially in regard to foregin policy, national security and being commander-in-cheif. They would be all over it. Look...they were critical of Hillary and her credentials completely overshadow Palin's. It's a complete double standard on their part. And it just makes me mad because it's completely irrational.


Furthermore...and I'm not bringing this up to judge Palin or her family but if that would have been a democrat (presidential or vice-presidential nominee) with a seventeen year old daughter knocked up... than the Republican smear machine would be in overdrive. And the family-values wing of the party would be up in arms. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

It'll be interesting to see what Gov. Palin says tonight. Nothing against her...I think she's a fine woman but I'm just dumbfounded by McCain's campaign in their attempt to criticize Obama's "lack of" experience while praising Palin's (lack of) experience.

I just don't get it.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that there is no way the Democrats could 'get away' with a pick like Palin. Plus, her daughter's pregnancy is a damn good argument against abstinence only education (that Palin supports).

akemijoy said...

I don't get it either. I didn't really get her speech tonight, but that's beside the point.

I think the biggest argument against her that Republicans would use if she wasn't from their party is her B.S. stance of being an ethics reformer. I mean, for crying out loud, she's being investigated by her own state legislature for ethics violations relating to the firing of a government official... for NOT firing her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper. How f'ed up is that?? (Sorry it is convoluted... but I'm pretty sure that's how it is...)

Indy ExPat said...

I do get it. And I love it! I believe the writing's on the wall for the dems.

Slammin' Sam said...

expat, for real? the RNC has been nothing but lies and attacks. no plans. no ideas. no change. just baseless logic. their whole strategy is to hype mccain's POW status (which honestly makes him a stronger candidate for a mental health center than national office) and the creepy uber conservative soccer mom who will most likely be president in 2 years when mccain dies of natural causes, should mccain get elected (shudder). he's old and she's very unethical and two faced.

Anonymous said...

I did find it a bit hypocritical that he chose a vp with little experience when his slam on Obama has been inexperience. I'm republican and I thought he was stupid. But here is way Palin will make this election go from Obama winning in a walk to Ohio and Florida making the final votes AGAIN! McCain will stroke out or die, at least a die hard republican can hope. That is why Palin matters. I'm not sure she is president material, but more of this country can identify with her than Obama. Mother, wife, Christian, down syndrome baby. Hollywood cant script that. This teenage pregnancy thing isn't a bad thing, it will, help her. Eveyone knows someone dealing with or maybe even is the result of a teenage pregnancy. It is more socially acceptable now. No more shot gun wedding like in my parents case. It is just how it goes these days in our hook up culture. You "progressive" democrats should know that. Anyway, to conclude my ramblings, I'm not sure Palin is the savior, but never underestimate American stupidity. She is hot, white, and becomming an Obama like rock star. As sad as this may be, it will make a difference.

McKell