Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Colts fallout Part II

All right...yes I was pissed on Sunday night. It wasn't until the Shelbyville exit (we watched the game at Reiger's condo in downtown Indy) that I could muster some words together to talk to my wife. (Hats off to her for putting up with my surliness...but she knows the drill...It just takes me some time to process a demoralizing sports lost with one of my teams). Ultimately it was a helluva of a game. It was exciting...it was nailbiting...it lived up to the hype. I don't think the Colts necessarily blew it...maybe gave it away...the Patriots on both ends of the ball made the plays in the fourth quater...and the Colts didn't.

Here are my observations:

1. Not much of a surprise but the Colts and Patriots are the best two teams in the NFL. Most people are aware of that...but this game proved it. It also proved that they are still, I think, evenly matched. The Patriots got us on Sunday but by no means are they utterly superior to us. If we played 10 games we would win half of them.

2. Randy Moss is a stud. When the pass rush faltered in the fourth quarter, it was then that Brady had the time to make the big play...and Moss has got to be the best big player receiver in the NFL. If they play again...I'm not to sure how the Colts will try to stop him...although I don't think Tim Jennings is the answer.

3. The Colts defense is good...I mean Super Bowl good. For 50 minutes they pretty much shut down the best offense in the NFL. They were making plays and getting pressure on Brady (which is the key to slowing them down and also why I think down the road...that the NY Giants might have more than chance to beat them). Unfortunately, due to fatigue or the Patriots making adjustments, the defense just could not hold them for the whole game. That was dishearting because they played their asses off.

4. I'm not saying that the injuries to several of our starters cost us the game but come on...it would have made a big difference...easily a 4 point difference. For the first time, the Colts offense really missed Harrison. The passing game was pretty slow and it is safe to say that with Harrison on the filed...at the very least...it opens more things up for the rest of the guys. The offensive line really missed Tony Ugoh as well especially in the fourth quarter. The line really let down the rest of the offensive in the fourth with the penalties and the lack of protection. And not to call out Charlie Johnson, who did an admirable job, but Ugoh is a stud and he would have made a difference. Maybe the defense would not have stumbled in the fourth quarter if Freddy Keiaho and/or Tyjuan Hagler would have played. Those guys are playmakers and greatly would have added to the defense's depth. I just think if the team was at full strength the result would have been different.

5. I don't buy the notion that the Colts can't win a potential rematch in Foxborough (AFC Championship). With the defense that the Colts have and with the ability to pound the ball with the run, they can win a smash'em up cold weather game. I'm not saying they should win...but they can. Furthermore, a cold weather game might actually effect the Patriots offense more than the Colts. The Pats are basically running the same 3 WR-set offense that the Colts ran in 2004. In a cold weather game with a tough defense (that the Colts have) the Pats' offense is not going to be running at optimum levels. I rather the game be in Indy...no question about that...but it's not a lost cause in New England (after all we have beat them the last two times in Foxborough).

6. I sill hate the Patriots. Tom Brady is great quarterback but he's also a whiny bitch. I remember quite vividly two instances of him whining during the game. (I'm aware that Manning doesn't have the best body language either...but he's better with it now). Bill Belicheck, while being a great football coach, is far from being a classy guy. His post-game handshake with Dungy boarded on being completely ridiculous. As for Teddy Bruschi...I just hate that guy. I'm just not going to say anything more.

Bottom line...the Patriots are a great team but so are the Colts. I hope we get them in the playoffs because we can beat them no matter where the game is going be.

Our next game in San Diego is not going to be an easy game...but I think we will get back on track.

Go Horse!

No comments: