Friday, November 23, 2007

Top 25 Albums from the past 25 years.

For those not aware WTTS (92.3) out of Bloomington is a Independently owned radio station. In essence that should make them cool but unfortunately it doesn't (much of the time). I will admit that it is the best station in the Indianapolis area (Doesn't say much for the Indianapolis radio scene). WTTS frustrates a great number of people because the station could be on the cutting edge of the modern rock music scene but they seem to be content to be a mindless mainstream “wuss” rock station.

Several days ago they revealed their list of the top 25 albums from the past 25 years (based on 92.3 VIP listeners).
Check out the list and come back for my take.






Commentary below...

1. Legitimately they have nine albums (“Yankee Hotel Foxtrot”, “OK Computer”, “Automatic for the People”, “Purple Rain”, “A Rush of Blood to the Head”, “Graceland”, “Born in the USA”, “Nevermind” and “The Joshua Tree”) on the list that definitely lend credibility to their objective. I haven't been “all about” some of those above mentioned albums but I do respect them or more importantly respect the musical tastes of those people (or critics) that are into them. I will have to say that having a third of the list being legitimate was a pleasant surprise.

2. This is Coug Country so I don't have a problem with him having Scarecrow on the list. I can buy that.

3. The following classic rock albums (Peter Gabriel's “So”, Dire Straits' “Brothers in Arms” and The Police's “Synchronicity”) wouldn't make my list but they aren't bad choices for this particular viewing audience. They could have been a lot worse (Tonic or Collective Soul)

4. “Eric Clapton Unplugged”...I'm sorry but Clapton is arguable the most overrated rock artist of all time. I know personal tragedy is a key theme on the album...and I don't mean to be a dick...but that in itself doesn't automatically make for a great piece of work. It doesn't belong on the list or any list of “best albums.” When rock icons (allegedly) go sappy...the results normally aren't that awesome.

5. Let me see...which artist (or band) have two albums on the list...Springsteen...No. U2...No. REM....No. Nirvana....No. Prince...No. Oh wait...John Mayer and Dave Matthews Band. WTF....let me repeat that WTF!. This is why WTTS stinks so much of the time. I have no idea what about these two artists that is so appealing. Seriously...I don't get it. I guess people are into Dave because his music is “different”...I don't know...I just find it uninspiring and boring to listen to (which is problematic for a song). There's a few John Mayer songs that I don't mind but most of his songs are so “soft-rock” that I just can't handle it.

6. I never know what to make of Pearl Jam. Sometimes I'm into them...and sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I think there place in rock and roll history is overrated...and sometimes I think it isn't. I was never into Pearl Jam when they broke so I have no personal history or connection with them. I will definitely say that I don't have a problem with “Ten” being on the list but there is no way that it should be number 2. I do know that.

7. More WTF...Counting Crows, “August and Everything After” at number 3. Wow. That has me at a loss of words.

8. Including such albums by David Gray, Norah Jones and Alanis Morisette isn't to surprising considering that they play these artists incessantly. I don't dislike these artists but they only reinforce the notion of the station being wussy or catering to an audience that likes wuss-rock.

Ultimately, the list isn't half bad. It is hard to argue with “The Joshua Tree” not being number 1. I can buy that. Like I said before about a third of list is quite legit. Of course there were several head-scratching...WTF selections. That is to be expected.

There is one big omission from the list but really the album doesn't fit into WTTS's format. But come on... any list of the best albums from the past 25 years has to include this album.

No comments: