Saturday, May 10, 2008

Anti-Jimmy Buffett

Last weekend I was at a cookout with some of my college friends. I was drinking some Landshark (no surprise) and they were asking me about it. I said it's pretty good stuff for those that like light beer but the only unfortunate aspect of it is that it's produced by Jimmy Buffett. They were like--what's wrong with that. I politely said that he's a deushbag. Needless to say this was the argument of the night.

My initial argument for why he's a deushbag was that he's nothing more than a brand (with his restaurants & bars, his brewing company & his other business interests) he's nothing more than Wal-Mart...Disney...or McDonald's. All he's doing is selling something. Well this lead to some more bickering and I even conceded that my argument was pretty rushed.

But I've had some time to think about it...and to flesh it out. I stand my original statement that he's just a brand. He just selling Good Times...and while I don't have a problem with somebody selling Good Times. I think one should be aware of this...because behind the Good Times portrayed by Buffett...there's nothing there...there's no integrity to the music or to the music being produced. Yes Buffett does actually live the life that he portrays (and that lends some credibility to his music) but he's free to live that life because he's made millions upon millions from selling that persona.

I've been listening to some of his music and it's unbearable...you want to know why its unbearable...because I'm not drunk or stoned while I'm listening to it. That's one of my points. Nobody listens to his music while they are sober. People only listen to it--mainly as background music--while they are drinking alcohol. My second point is that his concerts would cease to exist if one could not drink or smoke up while at the show. I find this extremely problematic when one can only enjoy someone's music while under the influence of alcohol or some other substance.

That rationale is why I have such a problem with Buffett. There's no substance in the music or behind the music. I'm not suggesting that everybody has to like music with substance...because I do like fluffy music at times. But the reverence that some people have with Buffett...I find just hard to grasp. If I went to one of his concerts with some of my buddies and we were having a some drinks...I'm sure I would have a good time. But I would be aware that that's all it is. The music is secondary to the partying. I just think the music should come first...that the music is why you there...and why you like the artist....that's what it's about.

6 comments:

Slammin' Sam said...

hearing jimmy buffett when drunk just makes me into an angry drunk. his music is physically painful to hear. i listen to all kinds of "bad" music, but nothing comes close to the putrid warblings of jimmy buffett. i think right now, his would be #1 for music that i hate to hear. various flavors of country (not all), the eagles and eric clapton would probably be close runners up, but buffett is my least favorite.

thanks for taking a stand on this issue. parrot heads, please find a better mascot.

StuckeySpalt said...

You know I agree. I find his music superficial and stupid, for sure, but I think the culture around the music is just as annoying. I just read a pretty good book called King Dork, and it has a glossary in the back. Oddly enough, Jimmy Buffett is one of the things defined. Here is the definition:

Jimmy Buffett: a weird old hippie dude featuring Hawaiian shirts and terrible music. On special occasions, a boomer dad will sometimes put on a little Jimmy Buffett costume, fix drinks with umbrellas in them, and bring them over to his "old lady," biting his lower lip and doing this weird, slow-motion dance-walk. If there is a more gruesome scenario on this earth, I cannot think what it might be and do not want to know in any case.

Anonymous said...

no i don't agree with u ,i find his music good ones and makes u happy,I’m trying to figure out what concerts I would like to attend this summer. I decided to find out what the top searched concert tickets are. I wasn't surprised that Jimmy Buffett showed up at the top of the list, he really has captivated millions of fans ,for that, his tickets are hard to come by .For that I used to compare the tickets prices For FREE!!!Before purchase them.
http://www.ticketsreview.com/concerts/jimmy_buffett_tickets/

Just try to see him live and i'm sure u will change ur idea about Jimmy Buffett!!

Anonymous said...

You're entitled to your opinions, but your comments on Jimmy Buffett reveal your misunderstanding of the capitalist system and why you enjoy the freedoms to express your misguided thoughts.

Jimmy Buffett has become a brand, and like McDonald's, Coca Cola and Apple, that's good for America.

If you don't like his music, don't listen to it. I personally find it preferable to rap crap and the dead-end lifestyle that encourages, but that's my opinion.

Like most Parrotheads, I work hard to make the American Dream come true for my family, but I understand how to relax on weekends and vacations in a way based on happiness and optimism.

Like any other band, I've heard some songs ("Margaritaville" being the prime example) to the point of overkill, but that's why I appreciate a Buffett album like "Fruitcakes" which includes lots of great songs (including the title song, "Everybody's Got a Cousin In Miami," and "Quietly Making Noise") that get very little airplay.

Visit my blog (http://CruisePlanners1.blogspot.com) and click on "Trip Around the Sun" under "Short Escapes from Reality" (right hand column of the blog) to watch the video of a simple song you probably never heard at your backyard barbecues.

If you read through my blog, you'll find I'm enjoying the American Dream. You can too. By the way, if you want to book a vacation, you can "visit our sponsor" at my blog site.

Rosemary said...

Yessss! My boss listens to him all day and I inwardly cringe. The cultural appropriation is what bothers me.

Rosemary said...

Yessss! My boss listens to him all day and I inwardly cringe. The cultural appropriation is what bothers me.