Friday, May 2, 2008

Rosenbaum......Out.

This isn't coming as much as a surprise since he was never signed on to a season 8 but Michael Rosenbaum is leaving Smallville after this season.

Here's his letter to me...I mean his fans.






Dear Smallville Fans,

Well, it's been seven wonderful years. Your support is what has made Smallville so successful, and I appreciate you all more than you know.

That being said, it is time for me to start the next chapter of my life and career. I hope that I gave you some enjoyment over the years, and that you found my portrayal of Lex Luthor to be satisfying. I am truly grateful, as Smallville fans are the best fans out there. I sincerely hope that you will continue to follow my career through my hair growth period and beyond.

I'm very excited about what the future holds, but certainly, Smallville will always be a part of me. I will definitely miss the greatest crew in the world, and the wonderful cast that has been like a family to me.

Thank you Al and Miles for creating the show. Thank you writers, producers, directors and editors. Thanks Tollin, Robbins and Davola for being there for the pilot. Thank you Peter Roth for employing me for ten years. Lisa Lewis, I miss you already. John Glover, thanks for helping me feel more comfortable touching other actors, while acting. Bizarre, but helpful.

Mostly, I want to thank Greg Beeman for directing the "Oh Sherry" video, by Steve Perry, back in the 80's.

Thanks crew. Thanks fans. Thanks Smallville.

I love you all,

Michael Rosenbaum



Needless to say, Rosenbaum leaving the show is a pretty big deal (and not just with me being slightly obsessed with the Rosenbaum persona). His portrayal of Lex Luthor was one of the highlights of the show and the Clark-Lex narrative is what drove the show. Obviously with Rosenbaum out of the mix and with the creators of the show (Al Gough and Milies Millar) also departing I'm not sure about Smallville season 8 (in terms of how that is going to work). This past season certainty hasn't been what the show used to be...although it's still pretty solid and one of my favorite shows (honestly last night' episode was pretty darn good). I would say I don't see the show going past season 8 but I'm pretty sure that I've said the last couple of years. To be honest I can't even fathom that there will be a season 8. That's quite remarkable...really for any TV show.

Bottom line...as long as they keep cranking out new episodes of Smallville...I'm going to be watching like the good little fan boy that I am.







No comments: