Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Padres--in the Basement



Boy...the Padres stink. Not only are in last place in the NL West but they have the worst record (17-30) in all of baseball. Simply pathetic.




Although they won last night (beating the Cardinals 3-2) I'm convinced that the Padres might trade Maddux...assuming... and I think it's a safe assumption... they start to have a fire-sale.




Now Maddux has a no-trade clause, which isn't surprising considering that well...he's Greg Maddux...and when you've put that much time into the game then you get the perks of a no-trade clause. Word on the street is that he wants to stay in Southern California or at least on the West Coast. I don't see him going to the Giants because they aren't going to be in playoff contention. Maybe the Dodgers again but I'm not sure that GM Kevin Towers is going to want to trade him within the division...plus I don't think Towers likes (or likes dealing with) the Dodgers. Then there's the Angles but I don't see Maddux playing in the American League. As for other West Coast teams...there's Seattle...but again...that's in the AL...plus they stink. Arizona could be a possiblity...although they're in the NL West as well...so I don't know.




Another possibility could be a team that he's played for before. A return trip to the Cubs is possible...and there's been some chatter about that in the Sun-Times. I know Maddux enjoyed playing in Chicago the two other times he's been there so it's definitey a possible scenerio. Plus the Cubs have had some pitching issues with Rich Hill struggling.




But if I was a betting man...I think he might end up back in Atlanta. The Braves have pitching issues...with Smoltz hurt (and headed for the pullben when he comes back) and the allure of reuniting the big three (Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz) for one last go around is appealing. Although Maddux wants to stay out west...I could see him (maybe) ending his career in the ATL where he had the most success of his career.




So if the Padres decide to trade Maddux (with his blessing) it could be Atlanta, it could be Chicago or it could be Arizona. That is assuming that those teams are in the playoff hunt, which I think they all will be. I would love to see him back with the Cubs or even with the Braves. Either option...to me...would be all right.


1 comment:

StuckeySpalt said...

Wasn't ATL in the old NL West? That is kind of west coast, right?