Thursday, August 16, 2007

Book of Fate


A few weeks ago, I finished Brad Meltzer's political thriller, The Book of Fate. It was a pretty good read. I don't read a lot of fiction (besides comics) but did enjoy the book. Speaking of comic books...it was the comics that inspired me to pick the book up. While I haven't read any of Meltzer's other books I have immensely enjoyed his comic book writing. In 2004 Meltzer penned the critically acclaimed DC Comics miniseries, Identity Crisis, and he just recently wrapped up a 12 issue run in the current run of the Justice League of America.

As for The Book of Fate...it was a pretty entertaining work of historical fiction. I kind of had the impression that the book was going to be along the lines of some of Dan Brown's work (historical conspiracies and all that). While that was there to a degree...it never materialized the way that I thought it was going too. By the cover of the book and by the synopsis on the back of the book one would expect a historical conspiracy involving the Masons. That was only briefly touched on in the book.

But I will say that the book held my interest and Meltzer's writing is very direct and snappy, which I like. He has a good pulse for today's pop culture and does a good job working that into the narrative without being overt about it.

I recommend it for those interested in the genre of historical (conspiracy-laden) fiction.

No comments: