Tuesday, August 21, 2007

creationism vs. evolution

I was late to church the other day but did see something in the church announcements about the Creation Museum (in Petersburg, KY). I know that there is some curiosity with some of my friends about visiting the museum. I'm just kind of indifferent about it.

My main concern is not so much the museum but this never ending argument in our culture over evolution vs. creationism.

I'm over it.

I feel that that I've moved beyond it and I wish both parties would do the same. It doesn't do either side any good to keep arguing over and over about it. For one the issue is extremely divisive to most people and secondly, the arguments don't go anywhere because both sides (and maybe one side more than the other) gets bogged down with their rhetoric. Every time I see this played out on a cable news show it just nauseates me. If anything it is nothing more than a loaded question that does nothing but spurn negativity.

Look I'm a Christian and as I Christian I don't feel that the issue of creationism vs. evolution is at the heart of my spiritual believes. I don't have to jusifiy how this planet started to buy my believes in Jesus Christ. It frustrates me when I see other Christians talking about the issue with such passion that they think if they aren't arguing for the merits of creationism than they are not going to go to heaven. I'm under the impression that is not how it works.

When I said that I moved beyond the argument what I mean is that I don't look at the Adam and Eve story as being true or not. To me it is inconsequential. What does have relevance are the truths that I can take away from the story---God loves man, that man was created in the image of God, that marriage is two becoming one in flesh, that we are not accidents.

Maybe it is a wishy-washy stance...and if people want to say that than that's fine. As a historian and (what I would like to think) somewhat of intellectual it is hard to buy the creation story as being literal fact. It just is. Do I believe that the divine had a hand in us being here and getting things started in the universe? Yes, I do truly believe that but I am not going to presume to know the scope of what that means.

Ultimately being a Christian is believing in Jesus and also believing in how he lived. Sometimes people get swayed away from that thought when they get fixated on issues that divide and not unite. The discourse (the idea of Christianity versus Science) would be better served with finding common ground.

This subject has been on my mind for the last several days and I feel better about letting it out. I figure there is nothing wrong with throwing in a (more) serious post every now and then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent post my friend. I truly agree with you on that there is no good that can come out of that argument. I like the fact that you point out how some Christians feel they need to argue this point to go to heaven. Good Stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Maddux. This is an issue I feel pretty strongly about...I have spent a lot of time studying evolution. It makes me crazy when creationism is given equal weight with evolution. It's completely illogical, and to me at least, it makes creationists seem backwards and narrow-minded. In the end, it takes credibility away from all Christians.

I truly believe that there is no reason for science and religion to be at odds, and honestly, the more I study evolution and all of the 'random chance' that had to occur to get us where we are, the closer to believing in God I come.