Thursday, August 30, 2007

JLA Movie Rumors

The internet is abuzz with rumors swirling Warner Bros attmept to make a Justice League of America movie.

Rumor #1

George Miller (Happy Feat) is attached to direct.

--I don't know about this. I'm not too familiar with his work but for what it's worth he also directed the Mad Max movies...and Babe. Kind of strange.

Rumor #2

Seven to ten days ago it was rumored that the movie was going to be shot in the same manner as The Polar Bear Express movie and the forthcoming Beowulf film. Apparently this is called CGI/performance capture film. (Although in the last few days this rumor has died down...and now allegedly only parts of the movie are going to use this specific type of animation)

--I actually liked this idea. One, a JLA movie is going to have a lot of special effects (which would suite this specific type of filmmaking.) Secondly, the filmmakers would more easily be able to capture the look of a comic book. I would love for an iconic 1980's comic book looking JLA film. (Art similar to the JLA t-shirt that I have.) Thirdly...and I'll touch on this later...a JLA movie shot in this format would not be dependent on a given actor to play the part.

Rumor #3

Christian Bale and Brandon Routh have not been asked to play Batman and Superman in the movie.

--This is quite accurate. Bale is on video (batman-on-film.com) explicitly saying that he has not been asked to play Batman in the movie nor would he really want too. He wants to stick to the vision that he and director, Christopher Nolan, have created. That makes sense to me. I definitely don't want a JLA film to wreck the progress that Nolan and Bale have done with the character. There's no secret how much I love Batman Begins and how excited I am for the The Dark Knight...so I don't want to see a scenario where the current franchise gets railroaded by another franchise. With that said...if another actor were to play Batman in a JLA movie I'm not sure how that will go over with moviegoers. That is why I like the CGI idea. Bale is Batman/Bruce Wayne and I just don't want to see another actor play the role.

--As for Routh...I'm not really sure what his feelings are....but this kind of leads into the next rumor

Rumor #4

Tom Welling has been approached to playing Superman in the JLA film

IESB.net reported that Welling is indeed interested in playing Superman on the silver screen. Kryptonsite.com denies that Welling would do this but nevertheless the rumor is out there.

--I do kind of like the idea of Welling donning the tights. I think most Smallville fans would like that as well. There are definitely strong expectations of finally seeing Clark become Superman. But then again it doesn't add consistency to the film universe when you have one franchise performing Superman with one actor and another franchise with another actor playing Superman. So I'm not sure how much I buy this rumor. I don't want to discount Routh who I thought did a fantastic job playing Superman. If Warner Bros is this deadset on making a JLA film then I see no reason why they wouldn't get Routh. I can see why Bale wouldn't be interested in doing a JLA movie...he's earned the right to be selective and choose the projects that he wants...it would seem to me that Routh would be interested (as I don't think he has that many projects lined up) in doing Superman for a JLA movie.

Rumor #5

IESB.net also has reported that Warner Bros is either going to go for a Superman sequel in the summer of 2009 or a JLA movie.

--I think they should go with a Superman sequel. I would love for a JLA movie but I want a JLA film done right and I think they are rushing it just to beat Marvel before they make an Avengers film or something I really liked Superman Returns--the reviews were very positive but it didn't rake in the bucks that they had hoped for. Apparently a lot of other movie goers just thought the film was all right. Anyway...Singer is already on record saying that another Superman movie would be loaded with action (which is what the fans want). I have the utmost confidence that Singer can deliver. In my book he has never make a bad or even average film. I really think that Warner's should concentrate on the Batman and Superman franchises before coming up with something that is half baked that is going to potentially stunt the development of what is already laid out. Although again...I think a big budget CGI-type film would work.

I hope that clears things up (for those that are concerned).



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two things:
1. With the way that CGI format looks, based on the Beowulf trailer anyway, it would very much matter who the actors playing the parts are.

2. Terrence Howard as Martian Manhunter. I'm starting the rumor right now.

Maddog said...

1. That is true...I guess I was thinking more of potential characters who wear masks (Batman, Flash). That a filmmaker using this specific CGI format could more easily manipulate the characters that wear masks. Definitely...I agree...that the actors who play Superman or Wonder Woman are going to be important.

2. I second that nomination.

Slammin' Sam said...

singer has apparently signed on for "Superman: Man of Steel":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/

and, honestly, i was not a big fan of superman returns. routh was okay, but the plot was really horrible. the best part of the movie was Kal Penn. i think it was a mistake to follow in the footsteps of the original movies.

and i'm definitely not looking forward to valkyrie. hopefully singer can pull it together and start doing good things again.

2. Terrence Howard... that has potential. i nominate keifer sutherland to play aquaman.

3. do you think the story will focus on individual origin stories w/the end product being the JLA? start w/creation of JLA? or just drop in on the JLA w/some crazy crisis?

Maddog said...

I think just drop in a JLA crisis. I don't think it would be an origin flick.