Monday, September 24, 2007

Milton Bradley Goes Crazy

In what will go down as one of the strangest injuries in the history of sports, Padres outfield, Milton Bradley, tore his ACL while being restrained by his manager, Bud Black while arguing with the first base umpire.

Click here for visual proof.

Here's a quick recap of the incident via yahoo sports:

Bradley was ejected from Sunday's game after an eighth-inning conversation with first-base umpire Mike Winters that had its origins to a fifth-inning at-bat.

Bradley was called out on strikes to end the fifth inning. Plate umpire Brian Runge told the Associated Press that Bradley "... flipped the bat right in front of me, about five to 10 feet in front of me."

Runge asked Bradley before his eighth-inning at-bat if Bradley had flipped his bat in the direction of Runge intentionally.

"He said, 'No,'" Runge said. "He said, 'Did he [Winters] tell you that I threw at you? He started to point at Mike. I said, 'No, no.' I even threw my hands up and told him to calm down."

Once Bradley arrived at first base, he engaged in what essentially appeared to be a tame conversation with Winters, who was standing behind him while play continued. That's when things got strange.

"I get a hit and I go to first base, and I asked him [Winters], 'Did you tell him I threw my bat at him?'," Bradley said. "He said, 'Yeah, you did.' I said, 'Are you kidding me? That's completely ridiculous. Why would you do that? Why were you even watching me? If I strike out, the inning's over, why are you even looking at me?'"

San Diego first base coach Bobby Meacham, who witnessed the entire incident, said that a fan in the seats down the first-base line yelled something from the stands directed toward Winters.

"Someone from the stands booed the umpire and Milton pointed to the guys in the stands. He didn't say anything, [he] didn't look at him. Then the umpire went off on Milton and called him a name," Meacham said. "If he had said that to me, I would have charged him."



For a Padres's fan...this stinks. The Padres are only a half game in front of the Phillies and 1.5 games in front of the Rockies (who just swept them) for the Wild Card spot. For a mediocre offensive team...one can't afford to lose your best and most consistent hitter...and yes that is sad when Milton Bradley is that player.

Bradley is a loose canon...but he had been on relative good behavior. Regardless of what the umpire called him (alledgedly--a "f___'n piece of sh_t") Bradley has to not act like a loose canon and be a professional about it. I just hope the Padres can keep it together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Milton ought to be extended an invitation to join Team Intensity... Can you imagine what he would have done on 18 at Wyalosin Creek?