Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New England Cheaters

I just absolutely love this story. I really dislike the Patriots so this story is just cracking me up. I love it.

For those not aware of the story here is a recap via Yahoo sports:

NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on Sunday when he was working on the New York Jets' sideline during New England's 38-14 victory. The league has confirmed that it is investigating whether the Patriots were taping the Jets' defensive coaches as they signaled to players on the field.




As a Colts fan it is only natural that I don't like the Patriots but to be honest even if I wasn't a Colts fan I probably wouldn't like them. I'm not going to get into all my reasons for disliking them (probably because most of the reasons are not fit to print--and might even be a little irrational). It is also safe to say that I don't even really respect the franchise even though they have been extremely successful. Something about that organization has always been fishy in my eyes. But then again maybe that's just something I told myself when they were regularly beating the Colts in the playoffs.

I think commissioner Roger Goodell is going to lay it on them...as he should. They cheated...they went way beyond the norm of even "acceptable" sports cheating. Contrary to what some media outlets have been arguing what the Patriots did is not in the same league as say stealing signs in baseball. One, it's not like some player or coach in the dugout has high-powered binoculars (or video equipment) looking into the opposing team's dugout. Sign stealing does occur but it happens with people on the field (or dugout)....not some random person hired by the club. Teams expect their signs to be stolen...why else do first and third base coaches go through all that hand movement. It is generic to say...but it is part of the game's tradition. Second baseball teams can police themselves. A suspected sign stealer or relayer has to come to bat...and when that happens a pitcher is either going to throw one high and tight or in the letters and that given player is going to think twice about doing it again. That give and take between teams is part of the game's fabric.

Apparently the NFL front office sternly warned teams before the season about video tape spying (allegedly this isn't the first time that a team has done this--and yes it was the Patriots then too). I think the penalty is going to be harsh because clearly the Patriots have violated a league rule. I've heard everything from taking away draft picks to forfeiting the game to Belichik (aka Hoodie) being suspended for a game or too. I'm thinking a stiff fine and maybe a draft pick or too taken away.

No comments: