Thursday, June 12, 2008

Anger Managment

If there's one thing that I've bitched about the most in my life it's this dual notion...

the bullpen blowing the lead for Greg Maddux or Maddux not getting any offensive support (or both)

I don't think there's any question about it. For well over 15 years I've complained about this. I can't think of anything else that would even be close to this notion. This is probably not a good thing (actually I'm quite sure of that) but it is what it is.

Consequently this has not been a good year for my baseball interests at least with regard to the pitching of Greg Maddux (At leat the Cubs are playing good...but everybody knows that could change rapidly). This might be it...this might be his last season and just frustrates me that he can't buy a win at this point. For this stage in his career he is still pitching effectively and actually this year he's pitching pretty darn good. His record is an unflattering 3-4 but his ERA is 3.33 (currently 13th best in the National League).

His last six outings are as followed (all no decisions)
5 innings/2 ER
5.1 innings/1 ER (4 runs total)--Scott Hairston's error and the bullpen blew this game
6 innings/2 ER--bullpen blew this game
7 innings/1 ER
6 innings/1 ER--bullpen blew this game


I realize that not picthing deep (gnerally speaking) into games opens one up to the increased possiblities of not getting a decison. It's just been a dreadful combination of lack of run support and a unreliable bullpen. If this is his last season...I just want him to go out on a high note. He needs 5 wins to pass Roger Clemens for career victories (that would put him eighth all time) and I want to see him get that number. I just don't know if that is going to happen. And needless to say that really pisses me off.

Normally writing about something is thearaputic and normally makes me feel better but that isn't the case right now. Going back over those past starts really just makes me mad.



No comments: