Sunday, June 29, 2008

Chicago Comic Con

On Saturday Narwold, Stuckey, Kerns and I ventured up to the Windy City to attend the Wizard World Comic Con...coverage can be found here. For those not aware a comic con is a big comic themed convention consisting of exhibitors (DC, Marvel, etc.); dealers; comic book artists and writers; aspiring/independent artists; C-level celebrities and wrestlers (Honky-Tonk Man & Iron-Sheik); and panel discussions by industry insiders.

Narwold and I have been twice before although we missed it last year because these two people got hitched. But anyway...it was cool that we had a car load this year.

A good time was had by all. I was a little disappointed that the DC booth didn't bring much to the table. In years past, they always had cool free stuff (posters or comics themselves) promoting their products and new storylines. They didn't have much this year...besides some cool buttons. Anyway...I did find some things I was looking for. I bought a Dark Knight t-shirt. I picked up another large...magazine size Batman comic from the '70's (for some reason I really like collecting those). I also got an All-Star Batman and Robin poster as well as the trade paperback collecting the first six issues of that series. Probably the coolest thing I bought was this t-shirt for my wife. (She loved it).

Hopefully the Apartment D blog will post some photos that we took... as Stuckey made it his mission to snap up photographs of the various people in costume. There's no doubt that attending a comic con has a certain level of geekiness...mainly due to the accurate perception that a large number of people will dress up as their favorite comic book character. This con was no exception. I shouldn't be too harsh (as I'm not meaning to be)...as it definitely adds to the convention going process. It's all in good fun...and people can be themselves. But it was definitely an interesting dynamic that when one asks these people for a picture they instantly go into their posing. It's automatic.

After the con, we enjoyed some delicious Chicago-style deep dish pizza from Giodano's...that we (not including Stuckey) dominated. Although we as a group did dominate the cheese-sticks...so much so that our waiter asked if we wanted another round. We declined.

All in all it made for a really enjoyable one day trip. I know I'll be looking forward to going next year as well.

Rack it.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Jenny might need her own drawer for super hero t-shirts.

Valerie

Anonymous said...

The only thing I regret about not "dominating" my pizza is that I could have brought the half piece I didn't eat home with me and had it for lunch the following day. C'est la vie.

Slammin' Sam said...

sounds like a fun trip. sorry i missed it :( we should all go to the big dance one year (san diego comicon).

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you could tell me a popular comic website to advertise on?

You may remember this comic -
http://www.condomman.net

I have products going out into different stores and I'm wanting to grow it.

Thanks!