Monday, June 2, 2008

Iron Head

I know I was somewhat dogging the MTV Movie Awards just a few posts ago but I ended up watching about 30 minutes of it last night. And in that span I caught two things that were pretty cool.

The first was a video with Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Black. In the video the three of them are hashing out a viral video campaign for their new movie, Tropic Thunder. It's pretty funny stuff. The end is a bit ridiculous but I just love the mock-movie poster in the video.

Secondly Coldplay performed their latest single, Viva La Vida. I know Coldplay straddles that line of being "cool" or "too cool for school" but I still like them and really dig the new tune.




Actually I was just thinking that I hope Coldplay follows the career path of U2 and not Oasis. This is an important release for Coldplay because this is their follow up to the album that was released after their breakthrough album and this is normally a make or break situation. A Rush of Blood to the Head was Coldplay's breakthrough album (in the US). The follow up, X & Y, wasn't quite up to par with A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Look at U2. Their big break was War and the follow up to that was The Unforgettable Fire. The Unforgettable Fire is certainly a good album but it didn't sell as well as War and is critically not considered to be on it's level either. But they followed The Unforgettable Fire with The Joshua Tree...and the rest is history.

Oasis's breakthrough album was (What's the Story) Morning Glory? The follow up to that was the hit and miss effort Be Here Now. Again...it didn't sell as well and was critically considered a step back from the Morning Glory album. The followed that up with (and I had to look this up--so what does that say for a person who still claims to be an Oasis fan) Standing on the Shoulders of Giants. And the rest is history.

Initially it looks to me that Coldplay is on the right path.


No comments: