Sunday, June 15, 2008

Trifecta (Part I)

Over the weekend I did the following cinematic trifecta at the Wolf Theatre...Kung Fu Panda, The Incredible Hulk and The Happening.

First up...Kung Fu Panda

This has been something that Jenny and I had been looking forward to for quite awhile...not so much watching the movie but taking our nephews (Blaine and Kaden) to the show. We went on Friday evening and arrived at the theatre plenty early. I'm always slightly concerned when taking kids to the movie. Obviously I don't have kids...thus I'm not completely in tune to what they should be watching and also if they have the desire to sit through a motion picture in the theatre. We've taken Blaine (now age 7) twice before--Shrek 3 (which worked out pretty well) and The Bee Movie (which he struggled with). But since then Jenny's mom, Cindy, took both of them to Alvin and the Chipmunks, where the both did pretty good. Apparently the secret is to load up on popcorn, candy and drinks (in their case--Frozen Pepsi). So that's what we did....and that worked.

It's kind of funny...I've been to the Wolf so many times that I can't even accurately estimate how many times I've been there. But when it comes to buying concessions there, I'm definitely a novice. (I learned a long time ago that when you go to the movies every week it's smart not to get into the habit of buying concessions). So I'm at the counter looking at the menu like I've never been out of the house before...but ultimately I got it worked out.

Needless to say both of them did a great job. I think Blaine's old enough now where he can comfortably sit through a movie (especially a cartoon). He was on the edge of his seat for most of the movie. As for Kaden (age 4)...I'm pretty sure any cartoon could have been playing on the screen and he would have been happy. I looked over at him once and he was just chilling in his seat going to town on the tub of popcorn that was about as big as he was.

It was fun evening. We try to do as much as we can for the "boys" and we do throughly enjoy the times that we spend with them. It looks like the next movie we might take them to will be the Star Wars animated Clone Wars feature. Blaine seemed pretty excited for that when they showed the trailer for it. (At this point I'm not entirely sure what to make of it)

As for my take on Kung Fu Panda...it's a pretty good film. It's entertaining for adults as well but not an over-the-top Shrek sort of way (which is good) Kung Fu Panda is definitely a film aimed at kids but it's a good enough film that will entertain adults as well. I'm not at all sure if the part of the panda was written with Jack Black in mind but I'm guessing it was because the voice work (and personality) of Jack Black perfectly meshed with the character of the panda. Ultimately I recommend Kung Fu Panda...it's a solid animated feature.

That's it for now. I was going to go into the Hulk movie but I'm still digesting that one. As for the Happening...well...one will just have to wait until Tuesday as that is the movie that Andy and I will be reviewing.

No comments: