Saturday, June 7, 2008

Gas Creek's Revenge

I woke up this morning around 8:00 mainly because I think the thunder woke me up. At that time it wasn't doing a whole lot outside and it looked like it hadn't rained much over night (which I thought it was going to--at least according to the local news).

Then around nine...Jenny called me from Terre Haute (where she's currently at this weekend because it's the state track and field meet for Special Olympics and she's one of the track and field coaches)...well anyway...she said it rained all night there and that they had received over 10 inches of rain...and that everything was just a big mess. Interstate 70 was closed (and it sill might be as of this post). She also wanted to know if the storm was moving into the Greensburg area. I just stated that it was raining but that was about it.

It wasn't soon after that...that it just cut loose and by 10:00 it was just pouring. At that point I decided to go and check the barn (Duane was in Indy giving an estimate). When a building's 81 years old...chances are their might be some problems. Anyhow...I went and checked things out.

Ultimately I stayed there until 11:30...things weren't bad but I just wanted to stick around to monitor the situation. After I left that barn I went to Huber's to get some ham salad for lunch. Well there were closed. And I decided to go and get some Taco Bell. Unfortunately Fourth and Ireland was impassable because of the continuing rain (Things were a little worse than what I had suspected). I thought to myself...maybe I should just go home. It became apparent that was going to be slightly more challenging than I thought. First and Lincoln was also impassable as were North and Lincoln and Washington and Lincoln So I just cut through north east street and hit 421 and double-backed to Vine Street.

It didn't quit raining until 2:00 this afternoon. But the remnants are still there. Here's some pics that I took later on in the afternoon. The last time I saw water that high in Greensburg was in the summer of 1995 (or '96). It was one or the other.

The playground behind the Junior High





Behind the Armory


The intersection of Lincoln and Washington



The view of heading south on Lincoln


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Jenny make it home today?

Maddog said...

Yup...she's safe and sound.

All track and field events were canceled but the volleyball team took the gold.

Slammin' Sam said...

that is crazy. glad everything was okay for you guys.