Saturday, January 17, 2009

Congrats to Rickey and Rice

Earlier in the week Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice were announced as the newest inductees into the MLB Hall of Fame. Richey was a no-brainer (all time leader in steals, runs scored...second in walks). He's hands down the greatest leadoff hitter of all time.

As I've said before I'm not sold on Jim Rice's candidacy but I'm not going to take anything away from him. He was a good player...I'm just not convinced he is a hall of famer.

I found this article and think that's it goes a long way in seeing the absurdity that happens sometimes with hall of fame voting. It's a breakdown between the careers of Jack Morris (who garners a fair share of support) and David Cone (who didn't even get 5% of the vote on his first year on the ballot). I do agree with the headline that neither are hall worthy.

Looking ahead to next year's ballot...Roberto Alomar, Barry Larkin, Fred McGriff and Edgar Martinez all will be eligible. I've read this several places... that none of these candidates will make it their first year being on the ballots...whereas the way I'm seeing it...three out of these four candidates are Hall worthy.

But more on that later.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Which 3? People in Seattle sure want Edgar, but will/should the Hall of Fame induct a DH?

Anonymous said...

Larkin is a first ballot HOF'er. MVP, World Series, and should have had several more golden gloves than he got if it weren't for the flipster Ozzie Smith getting them because of who he was.