Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar Nominations (thumbs down)

Here's a timeline of my Oscar frustration.

Approx. 8:40 AM (yes I was tuned into ABC's live telecast)

--Heath Ledger is nominated for best supporting actor. That's good. I know it seemed a sure thing but one just never knows.

Approx. 8:45 AM

--I'm frustrated for Christopher Nolan as he is shut out for nominations for the director and adapted screenplay categories. He directs the movie of the year (both a critical and commercial success) and he doesn't score any nominations himself.

Approx. 8:47 AM

--There it is. No nomination for best picture for The Dark Knight. Simply ridiculous. Granted I haven't seen three out of the five nominees--yet--but I do know that The Dark Knight is a better film than The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. That just really frustrates me that it didn't get a best picture nomination. Dammit, it deserved it.

Approx. 8:50 AM

--I feel a little better as Chris Connelly informs me that The Dark Knight did receive eight nominations. Which is cool but on the other hand it does frustrate me in that it's good enough to win multiple technical nominations but that doesn't add up to a best picture nomination. I don't get it.

Approx. 9:30 AM

--I'm finally able to get online to see the rest of the nominees. I scroll down to best song and lo and behold see the biggest snub of all--no nomination for Bruce Springsteen's The Wrestler for best song. But even more absurd...there's only three nominations and there can be up to five! WTF! Apparently there were only three Oscar worthy songs. I cannot even comprehend why the Academy can't fill out the category. And then you're trying to tell me that the song isn't even good enough to score a nomination. That's ludicrous.

Noon

--I'm now on my lunch break and I'm still pissed off. Actually I'm more pissed off now than I was a few hours ago. It's beyond reason why the Academy stiffed The Dark Knight...or the Boss...or for that matter WALL-E. The category for best animated feature is ill-advised as it destroys almost any shot of an animated feature earning a best picture nomination. And you know what...I think WALL-E should have been nominated for best picture as well.

Damn I'm angry.






1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I'm with ya. I'd take The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, and WALL-E over Benjamin Button for sure and probably Milk. I haven't seen Frost/Nixon or The Reader, but Slumdog Millionaire deserves it for sure.