Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ryan Adams and The Cardinals Rock The Murat

...and might be still be rocking it.

Last night Chris and Caroline and Jenny and I attended the Ryan Adams show at the Murat Theatre last night.

The Good: This is the fourth time I've seen Adams and this was probably the best that he's (and the band) as ever sounded. It was tight. He interacted with the audience and just seemed to have a good time on stage, which I don't think was always the case. So that was refreshing. Overall the music sounded great and he did play one of my favorite songs, Magnolia Mountain, which I wasn't sure if he was going to play or not. I had never seen a show in the theatre part so I wasn't sure what to expect. I normally like standing at concerts but during the first set most people were seating and it wasn't too bad...it kind of fit the acid-garage-country rock sound of Adams and the band. During the second set, most of the concert-goers were standing so that livened things up.

The not-so-good: No question...Adams is diva and that showed when he would just take an inordinate amount time sometimes between songs (like to tune his guitar or something--must have been the air-conditioning)...it slowed things down a bit. My biggest issue with the concert was at times Adams and the Cardinals turned into a jam band. I'm not a big fan of jam bands especially when I'm viewing a concert on a weekday night. If the concert was on a Friday or Saturday night I don't think it would have such an issue but regardless...too much jamming. Also...I think Jenny and I have bad luck with this at Indy shows...the two most annoying fans were sitting right behind else. They weren't even little jannies...they were just a couple of annoying female fans probably in their mid 20's. We learned that one of them wanted to have Adams's baby...and to top it off...and I couldn't even fathom this...but they were talking about how Adams does Wonderwall at most of his shows. And it was only just recently that they learned that Adams did not originally write or perform the song. They thought it was an original. I might have a clouded take...being an above average Oasis fan...but I'm under the impression...and I think I'm right on this...that most people around our age know that Wonderwall is an Oasis song. That song was pretty popular. It just really dumbfounded me.

Even though I wrote more for the not-so-good part...the concert rocked and ultimately was a pretty cool show. Jenny and I had a good time with Chris and Caroline and had a great night...even if it was a late night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan Adams is a drama queen. I cannot believe you like that guy. I can tell he is slipping out of your grace though.

Maddog said...

You are a dope...he'll slip out of my grace when George Strait slips out of yours.