Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"We're livin' in the future and None of this has Happend yet"

Here's my take on Bruce Springsteen's, "Magic."

It's awesome (not really surprsing to hear from me)...I would say that I've listened to it completely through at least five times and it continues to grow on me the more I listen to it.

Compared to some of his recent efforts I would say that its better than Devils and Dust (an album where I just absolutely really liked about half of the songs but think the other half is just all right) but not quite on the same level as The Rising (which is an album that I just love...and an album that I still think resonates to this day--even though Springsteen's vision of American in a post 9-11 world is fading away...it should also be pointed out that The Rising was the first Springsteen album to come out after I had declared myself to be a Springsteen fan...so it has that going for it as well).

Even with all that said...Magic is a rocking (and also relevant) album that will satisfy most Springsteen fans. The two songs that really stand out are Livin' in the Future and Girls in Their Summer Clothes. Those songs...and pretty much the rest of the album really remind of the album "The River" and that era of Springsteen's music. It has that joyous "wall of sound" vibe with lyrics that look back but also comment on our present day lives. Ultimately it is just another solid effort to his already classic catalog.

I'm eagerly anticipating an announcement for a second leg of concerts that will take place in 2008 and hopefully one of those dates will be an Indy (or Cincy).

If you want a more professional review of the album than visit these two sites:

Rolling Stone

Pitchfork

"Jacket's on, I'm out the door/Tonight I'm gonna burn this town down"

No comments: