Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bad day for Indiana

What a crappy day yesterday was...with regard to my interest in sports.

1. Kelvin Sampson....he's about as zippy as it gets. For those not aware the NCAA has levied five allegeded major violations against Sampson.

It is just completely unacceptable. I was actually surprised that he wasn't fired yesterday but after reading Pat Forde's and Seth Davis's columns (this morning) on espn.com and si.com (respectively) it was a good idea for IU not to fire Sampson yet. They are just allegations and the process should be played out before a knee-jerk reaction is made. (Although I do think...with the way Sampson's contract was written...IU could have fired him and probably not be in violation of a future unlawful termination lawsuit). I think one of two things should happen. Either Sampson should resign or he should be suspended (as Forde argued). He shouldn't be on the sidelines anymore as coach...I think that much is evident. He has completely made a dirty mess of a proud and respected program. A suspension makes sense to me if he doesn't resign. IU suspends him...waits until the hearing (thus giving the process its due time) and then takes the proper action with whatever verdict the NCAA decides. The entire fiasco just completely angers me.

Further adding to my anger was the actual game last night. IU lost when Wisconsin's Brian Butch banked in a three-pointer with 6 seconds left in the game. Uggggggggggggggg!.

2. The Clemens-McNamee Congressional hearing. Here's another circus. Ultimately I don't think either party came out on top. Whatever people thought going into the hearing is the same of what they thought when the hearing concluded. McNamee is sure not a air-tight witness without his faults but I still think Clemens is in a bad spot. Knoblauch, Pettitte and Clemens's wife...they all confirm McNamee's stories. And to think that Roger had no idea that McNamee injected HGH into his wife without him knowing anything about it...is just completely ludicrous. Come on Roger. I really believe that in Roger's mind (because of his stubbornness and strong will) he thinks he didn't do anything wrong (by taking steroids)...thus he comes across as being somewhat credible at times.

In effect...I don't know if anything more will come about this. I don't think the evidence is overwhelming...either way...to convict one of them of perjury. I think Clemens is in worst shape but the evidence is shaky into actually getting a conviction.

Unfortunately for me and fellow Hoosiers, the most embarrassing moment of the hearing involved Indiana Congressman (5th district), Dan Burton. Boy oh boy...did he come across as a dope. For one it frustrated me that the hearing was basically split on party lines. Bascially the Republicans were in Clemens's corner and most of the Democrats were in McNamee's. This is just another example of the misplaced partisanship in DC. Maybe I'm just being naive but does every issue in Washington DC have to split on party lines. It just infuriates me (and it has nothing to do with what my political leanings are).

It comes as no surprise that Burton was on the Clemens's side. He went after McNamee like a wild man and it was nothing more than classic grandstanding. Yes, he did have some points that McNamee has lied in the past. But to not see the difference between lying for a friend and telling the truth (when you have to) is short-sighted. But my main beef with Burton is for him to be calling out someone else for lying or for being dishonest. This is the same man who had an affair which resulted in him fathering a child. Although it took him 15 years to own up to it. This is the same man who voted against a measure that prevented lawmakers from taking free gifts and trips from lobbyists. It passed the house 430-1. That's just a drop in the bucket for all the dopiness that Burton has done in DC. For more of a read of Burton's shenanigans...click here.

On the other hand I should mention that Indiana's Mark Souder (also on the committee) actually made Indiana proud by having facts straight and keeping an open mind.

3. My next moment of dismay came with this story and its subsequent headline, "Hard to Believe but Maddux Sounds Ready to call it a Career." Thankfully this isn't on the same level as the above two debacles. But I just hope it doesn't turn out to be the case. I'm not ready for Maddux to retire.

Although I didn't realize it last night...I think this was the one tidbit that was bothering me more than the other two. I was sure in a funk last night. But I do feel better today.

No comments: