Tuesday, February 12, 2008

SI Swimsuit Issue


The latest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue hit newsstands today. I've always been a pretty big fan of the swimsuit issue and at one point it was goal of mine to collect every issue. I never reached that goal but I do have several issues (although I'm not exactly sure where they are). Anyway...I know there was a time...and maybe it's true for some people today...that the swimsuit issue was controversially. I think that time has passed especially when looking at other men's magazines like Maxim, FHM, Playboy or Penthouse. If anything the swimsuit issue is "wholesome" men's magazine entertainment. I found this article on slate.com that I think sums up...at least how I feel about the swimsuit issue. Basically SI's swimsuit issue has gone as far as its going to go...which regard to the amount of skin that they are going to show. Because of that, the swimsuit issue has to have the appearance of still being relevant or risque. But the fact is...that it really isn't controversially anymore. But that's all right with most people because it allows the swimsuit issue to still have a mass apeal and thus demand.

In honor of the latest issue being release...here's my top ten SI models of all-time.

10. Stacey Williams
Never graced a cover but appeared in several issues in the 1990's.


9. Niki Taylor
Again...never graced a cover but appeared in several issues in the late '90's.


8. Kathy Ireland
Appeared on three covers...1989, 1992, 1994. I'm assuming she is still Justin Brewer's favorite model of all time.


7. Stephanie Seymour
Again...Stephanie never appeared on the cover. But she was at one time married to Axle Rose. That has absolutely nothing to do with discussion but I just wanted to mention it.


6. Ashley Montana (Richardson)
She appeared on the 1991 cover.


5. Vendela Kirsebom
Vendela appeared on 1993 cover and had a small part in Batman & Robin.


4. Heidi Klum
Heidie has appeared on one cover (1998)


3. Cheryl Tiegs
She has appeared on three covers 1970, 1975, 1983. In my eyes...the original MILF of my adolescence.


2. Elle McPherson
Has appeared on the most swimsuit covers of all-time with 5, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1994, 2006.
Of note she also had a small part in Batman & Robin.


1. Marisa Miller
Marisa's is this year's cover model.

2 comments:

Slammin' Sam said...

i am so glad cindy crawford didn't make it to your list.

also, speaking of men's magazines and catalogs (victoria's secret), i'd like to bring up one of my biggest pet peeves: photoshopped nipples. it's just unnatural to have a woman exposing nearly an entire breast, or wearing something completely see through and not have a nipple. honestly, it's just creepy. seriously, look at the cover of this years SI swimsuit issue... she was totally photoshopped!

Anonymous said...

Boys,

That's not the only thing that's being photoshopped. Sorry!