Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Restless Night

My night started off on the right track with IU dominating Michigan in basketball. Of note DJ White had 22 rebounds along with 21 points. Eric Gordon pumped in 23 points. They are becoming quite an inside/outside threat.

But with the New Hampshire Primary, my night became one of endless frustration (I could only go to sleep after I had drank about half a bottle of Nyquil). By now everybody knows that Hillary Clinton pulled off an upset by narrowingly winning the New Hampshire Primary. Barack Obama finished a close second.

I was hoping for (and the polls were confirming this) a resounding Obama win thereby significantly damaging the Clinton machine. The idea was that Obama would move on to Nevada and South Carolina and post decisive wins thus just about clinching the nomination.

Looking back on that...I realize now that was wishful thinking. It looks like the primary season is actually going to emcompass many states--which ultimately might not be that bad of a notion and in fact will represent the opinions of many more Americans who normally don't get a chance to select the nominees (although I'm sure by May... Indiana's primary still won't matter with regard to choosing the nominee). Anyway...it's going to be a battle between Clinton and Obama. Obama's momentum has slowed but it looks like being the underdog might be the way to go in winning the delegates. It is going to be interesting to see how the candidates choose to campaign (or not) in Nevada and South Carolina with Super Tuesday looming on the horizon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was definitely hoping for an Obama win. It wasn't until very last night that I realized I am very much rooting against Hillary at this point. I want a woman president but not her.

If she gets the nomination of course, I will definitely be campaigning for her. I am pretty much scared shitless of all of the Republican candidates. McCain's my favorite, and I disagree with him on some pretty essential issues.

Slammin' Sam said...

i agree w/elizabeth.

also, don't freak out, too much, too early, maddog. there's a long road ahead....

Bop said...

Clinton has an ace up her sleeve. Two words... James Carville. I'm still pulling for Obama though.