Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"Sweeney Todd" movie review


This week we take a look at Hollywood's latest musical: Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (R). Johnny Depp and Tim Burton team up for the screen adaptation of one of the darker mainstream musicals ever to grace Broadway. Depp plays the title character, who, in an attempt to avenge his slain wife, changes his identity and becomes a murdering barber. Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, and Sasha Baron Cohen costar.


Ryan: If there was ever a musical suited for the taste of Tim Burton, it would be Sweeney Todd. The Gothic flair and macabre elements are perfect for the eccentric director. Granted this is nothing new for Burton, in terms of the film's morbid themes but for the most part his direction in the film is in tune with a lot of his past works. Sweeney Todd didn't impress me to the high degree that I thought it might but the fault lies elsewhere than with Burton's work.


Andy: I have to completely disagree. The problem with this film lies squarely at Burton's feet. First of all, this is a watered, down, recycled version of tricks Burton has been using for decades. It is almost like a lesser director was making a movie in the style of Tim Burton. Everything is darkly lit, several of the characters have Edward Scissorhands hair, and the visual macabre rarely holds the subtle humor that Burton's best work has.


Ryan: My biggest issue with the movie is the films music. Since this is a musical thats a significant concern. For instance, when I normally leave a film musical at least one song is dancing around in my head. With Sweeney Todd that wasn't the case. Now after a few days, the music completely escapes me. It just wasn't impressionable. I know Stephen Sondheim is well respected, perhaps even an icon in the musical world but, the music in film did not do it for me. Like I said earlier that is very problematic for a cinematic musical.


Andy: Sometimes Sondheim's music is a bit of a slow burn, and perhaps Sweeny Todd is no exception to that. A couple of the songs stuck with me when I left the theatre. However, it must be noted that Burton chose to cut one of the most beloved songs, “The Ballad of Sweeny Todd,” from the movie entirely. One also has to question some of the singing in the film. Helena Bonham Carter was questionable at times with her singing, and as great as Johnny Depp is, I would describe his vocal performance as adequate.


Ryan: Everybody knows that Johnny Depp is a fantastic actor. But even I was a little apprehensive with him being in a musical. I would say that hes not going to win any awards for his singing but he just scored a Golden Globe award for best performance in a musical or comedy. I'm not really sure how to take that (considering how dysfunctional the Golden Globes are this year) but I wouldn't categorize his performance as award worthy. It is definitely a noteworthy performance for his personal catalog but it certainly isn't the best work of his career either.


Andy: For all of the trash I've talked about this movie, I was very entertained. There is a stretch in the middle of the film where it is all falling into place and seems like a fantastic film. Unfortunately, it has a slow start and an ending that is inexplicably non-captivating considering the action that is going on. Ultimately, it does have a lot going for it, but it is a little disappointing to see great source material being put to screen by some of the most talented people in movies with results that are less than great.


Other than some questionable choices and music, Sweeney Todd is dark delight of a film. Final grade: B.

No comments: