Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Second Look at "3:10 to Yuma"


The other weeknight I re-watched 3:10 to Yuma. As many as you know when Andy and I originally reviewed the movie last year we gave it a positive review...even giving it an A- (which for us is about as good as it gets).

There's no question now that I would say that 3:10 to Yuma (with apologies to some of the other 2007 releases that I haven't seen yet) is my top film of the year. With "top" being a combination of critical analysis and favoritism. I consider it to be one of the best films of the year as well as being my favorite movie of the year.

The movie is not only a stupendous western but a superb film. Without getting overly spoilerly for those that haven't seen the movie I just absolutely love how the movie ends both from an action standpoint and thematically. There's a famous line in the immortal John Ford western The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence that never stops being relevant in my eyes. . ."This is the west, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." To me that perfectly captures the myth versus reality of the American West. The climax of 3:10 to Yuma really plays with that idea of mythmaking and showcases how crucial it is to the characters involved. From a cinematic standpoint that notion is hardly new to the genre but it is always worth revisiting. Since the western is such a part of Americana...I think that as a genre picture there's nothing better than a good western and 3:10 to Yuma is definitely that.

No comments: